Sunday, December 2, 2007

Countdown to Christmas

My parents like most parents out there I’m sure hoped that they would raise their children with at least some of the principles and ethics that they might want to pass on to them. I am sure many just hope that they will grow up to be upright citizens and move out of the house at the proper age. Despite the usual ups and downs of growing up, I have to admit I was incredibly lucky to have grown up with so many wonderful memories and traditions and experiences that truly did shape the man I turned out to be.

At this time of the year I begin to get anxious...the Autumn starts an exciting time of the year for me and I have to wonder once again what makes Christmas "the most wonderful time of the year." As the days get shorter and more stressful, I find myself joining the millions of people worldwide who love Christmas and harken to that "Christmas spirit." But what is it about Christmas that makes it so special? A simple string of white lights wrapped around a lamppost is all it takes for me to be overcome by happy feelings and powerful associations.

I've often thought that it's the traditions that come along with Christmas that make it so special. I feel safe and happy when I'm doing something familiar -- something I've known since I was a little boy. Many of these traditions have morphed over the years - grown up or changed with the times, but I have such crystal clear memories of many of the traditions started from my grandparents and then down to my parents to myself; everything about Christmas in my family has some tradition with it. Like the Advent Calendar.

How excited I would become as a child when my grandfather would bring over the Advent calendar for me. As December 1st approached I could barely wait until I got to open that first window to see my first image of the season. Every year the calendar was different, usually imported from Germany or Scandinavia they became a beautiful and integral part of my countdown to Christmas.

This year I was surprised by the gift of my own permanent Advent Calendar. I still felt the same child like joy and anticipation as I looked forward to each morning and the opportunity to count my way down to Christmas Day. It was the perfect gift, the best possible reminder for me of the magic of the season. For me it brings back all the wonder and the anticipation of those Christmas’ growing up.

I’m not sure what it is about this time of year. Perhaps it's the excuse Christmas gives us to be friendly, and to expect friendliness in return. People are too busy or too stressed to be nice all year long, but Christmas has managed to retain some of its goodwill message. Perhaps it is the reminders of our own childhood memories and the joy that they brought us that makes us smile a bit more at this festive time of the year. For me though this holiday season has started off with a most thoughtful and generous gift from the heart that makes me smile a little bigger and makes this years countdown to Christmas even better.

No comments: